Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The victim of hyperreality?...me

As a child, the media forced its way into my mind; shows that seemed childlike and harmless were only "fake" realities portrayed to confuse and manipulate our generation. I remember watching the animated movie "We're Back" where a kid decides to run away from home and join the circus. The idea of joining the circus was propagated and even enforced in the film as a way to escape the boring world of family life and the struggles that go along with it. This is the opposite of what should have been protrayed to children. The scenario in which a young boy ventures out into the dangerous world and becomes a hero and rescues dinosaurs is completely fiction. Another instance in which I was negatively influenced by hyperreality is in the series "Pokemon". The show with the catchy lyrics saying "I want to be the very best, the best that ever was..." was the one that caused me to feel better than everyone else. I became boastful and prideful. I also played endless hours of the videogame, trying to train all of my Pokemon to level 100 and catch all 151 of them. It was my own little world that I lived in from third to fifth grade. Everything related back to Pokemon and it caused me to look down on other people who I thought less of. This was not a good depiction of reality either though, because kids can't catch dangerous creatures, much less Pokemon. Although it caused me to be a bragging little brat, I had the time of my life in my own little world of Pallet Town and every other city in Kanto.

No comments: